Friday, October 5, 2007

Muffin

She died 17 years ago today, and I still miss her every day. Most nights she comes back in dreams and comforts me. What a pal and companion. Lucky me. And during the day while eating I think, damn it, if you were here I'd save the remaining crumbs for your snout just like I always did.

Man, she loved the sound of the Milkbone box rattling, and morphed from a Cocker Spaniel to a 'Springer' Spaniel whenever anyone asked her if she wanted to go for a walk. She'd get so excited she'd start peeing even before I'd get the leash hooked to her collar. Then, the entire time outdoors her nose would be glued to the grass searching for...only she knew. And she would tug me mightily along as though we were shooting the chariot race scene in Ben Hur.

And she knew more about life than me. Probably from all that homework of mine she ate. And no, none of that roll over and play dead or shake paws or speak! crap. She was too much of a lady (except the uncontrollable peeing), and knew just when to make herself scarce when I had a fit, or when to settle her head upon my lap when I took a melancholy dive. I take more of those dives now than ever before, so I keep that 8 x 10 framed photo of her on my bed stand so she's the last thing I see before drifting away.

I miss you, little girl.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Liberty said...

That is just beautiful, Al.

Dogs are so much nicer to have around than people.

I can only imagine how much you miss her.

Joe

10/06/2007 5:26 PM  
Blogger phil said...

Thanks, Joe. :)

10/07/2007 12:21 PM  
Blogger G said...

What a lovely tribute to your beautiful little friend. Very moving, Phil.

11/04/2008 8:31 AM  
Blogger phil said...

Thanks, G. :)

I need her now more than ever.

11/05/2008 9:55 PM  
Anonymous Terry said...

Howdy Phil
I am so glad you had a friend for life.
I am sorry you miss her but so glad you had her love and friendship to miss and remember.
Take care and never forget to keep those happy thoughts she left with you .
I don't know of anything that will make it easier but just keep going forward day by day ever forward.
Hugs

6/27/2009 1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sigh....
I measure my life by what dog was in it and when. Thanks for sharing about Muffin. Missing our beloved dogs is filled with both smiles and sadness. When you've loved them like we do, you can't have one without the other.

8/01/2010 9:33 AM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

when we are lucky enough to have such wonderous creatures willing to put up with us- that is living a charmed life- lucky you to have Muffin in your life- I've never lived with a dog- but have with many cats and I miss them all.

12/28/2011 12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

11,041 vagabonds plus:
Free Hit Counters
Web Counters

All original designs and text created by the author of this blog, Phil L., are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike3.0 License. All other materials remain the property of their respective owners and/or creators, unless of course they are part of the public domain.