Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Lights Across the Sky


this was the first story I wrote about Mayberry, about 5 years ago now....

I couldn't sleep and I didn't care. What a day! Fishing and camping with Andy, Opie, Barney, and Gomer. As I looked out from our camp just above the north slope, I had a clear view of the night sky, and even though there was a setting moon shining from behind the pines, I could see the Pleiades straight up, and to the Southeast I could see the belt of Orion, and further east the brightest star, Sirius. Always in the same order in the black sky - always faithful - like the friends that surround me in camp.

I looked over and I could see by the light of the white moon that Opie was still clutching his new fishing pole, sound asleep next to his pa, the orator of our nightly ghost story, The Bats of The Old Cave. All of us are still wearing our hats and I just broke out in goosebumps thinking of it again. Ope was so proud that the fish he caught fed us all - of course, it was mixed with the chicken sandwichs and chocolate cake that Aunt Bee stashed in our gear.

Next to them, Barney was motionless, on his back, sleeping bag pulled up under his chin, and his mouth open. Bless his heart. You know, I believe that's the first time I've ever seen him still(I wonder if the clock in his stomach is still?). On the other side of the glowing red and violet embers of the old campfire I could see Gomer was still awake. An owl hooted twice and Gome echoed back, and it seemed to please and fascinate him. He saw that I, too, was still awake.

"Hey, Al?" he whispered.

"Yeah, Gome?" I said quietly. Barney snorted and turned on his left side. Out somewhere beyond the other side of the lake a train rumbled by in a low comforting tone.

Gomer sat up. "Great time, huh?" The tall, aykward fellow with a bright smile and a heart the size of both Carolinas stretched and yawned.

I looked at Opie next to his pa. "Gome," I said, "I'm having the best time of my life."

Every once in awhile, if you're lucky, you will find yourself in a state of pure and illuminating happiness. For me it's Mayberry. I looked up at the big sky, gazed at a star pattern, layed back and stretched, and drifted away in no time.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

11,041 vagabonds plus:
Free Hit Counters
Web Counters

All original designs and text created by the author of this blog, Phil L., are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike3.0 License. All other materials remain the property of their respective owners and/or creators, unless of course they are part of the public domain.