Saturday, September 6, 2008

the shy vulture

I had no idea there were any vultures in Indiana. Who knew? Or maybe I should ask "Hoosier?" ("who's ear?", our nickname derived from a question inquiring about leftovers when a venue of vultures once encircled road kill on an old Indiana pasture lane back in 1876).

Upon further research, turkey vultures do inhabit a meaty chunk of the middle States during the summer months.

But there it was, yesterday, as I drove along a two lane road. I slowed and watched as it hopped in hesitantly to inspect a careless raccoon that apparently had crossed the street without looking both ways twice. I honked the horn to scare it away. Later, I thought, wait, that's its business to eat roadkill. Why did I try to scare it away?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

11,041 vagabonds plus:
Free Hit Counters
Web Counters

All original designs and text created by the author of this blog, Phil L., are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike3.0 License. All other materials remain the property of their respective owners and/or creators, unless of course they are part of the public domain.