Wednesday, November 4, 2009

and this is my friend, Mr Laurel

Oliver Norvell Hardy, along with his friend, might be the only movie stars ever to use their real names in the films they made together. I certainly can't think of anybody else.

Looking quite dapper...



As silent comics go, I always rated Stan second only behind Buster. Check out some of his early solo short films if you get a chance.


Mr. Laurel would constantly work and re-work gags, whilst Mr. Hardy would leave the movie lot promptly at the end of the day to hit the golf course. But I guess that was only fair, since Ollie seemed always to be the victim of habitual pratfalls. And then there was that direct eye contact Ollie had with us signaling total hilarious exasperation.




"If anyone at my Funeral has a long face,
I'll never speak to him again."

~Stan Laurel

1 Comments:

Blogger Hilarywho said...

It's been a long time since I've seen a Laurel and Hardy film - I liked them a lot when I was a teen & in my early 20's. Your post has made me nostalgic for them.

11/04/2009 11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

11,041 vagabonds plus:
Free Hit Counters
Web Counters

All original designs and text created by the author of this blog, Phil L., are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike3.0 License. All other materials remain the property of their respective owners and/or creators, unless of course they are part of the public domain.