Thursday, February 2, 2012

trash can chase


It was the barking at first. Rather, it was the idle growling of my faithful companion, Astronomer, as I had given up waiting for the clouds to drift out after setting up my telescope on the front porch after supper to witness the four large moons of Jupiter in alignment. I could hear her rumbling fuse of a bark as I stood at the sink in the kitchen finishing off cold soup. And then it was a choking bark, like she was trying to talk faster than her brain would allow.

As I approached the front, there were those spinning lights, and the knocking from above, and I worried the porch overhang standing on three wobbly timbers would collapse onto poor Astronomer before she was done cursing.
Outside now, there was somebody...no, something in there, and I can't explain how a creature with two eyes(me) could make direct one-eye contact(it), but along with Astronomer's comments and my own one-eyed shotgun, 'It' bolted on two creaking stilts.

I had to shove Astronomer out of the driver's seat and reach down to the floorboard to retrieve the dropped keys a couple times before we could give full pursuit in my '71 Mercury Comet. We didn't exactly have piercing searchlights, and lost the escapee out in the dark, Astronomer not relenting in her opinion of the situation one iota as we sat in darkness with engine stalled and cold soup coming up.

You're the first one I'm telling, and I'd sure appreciate you not mentioning this to nobody.

image by Hervé

4 Comments:

Blogger Trellissimo said...

Shan't tell a soul! But thanks for telling me... Hehehe!

2/02/2012 2:45 AM  
Blogger herval said...

Hey Phil !
I'm honored you have used one of my drawings to illustrate one of your stories.
I must say this drawing is a tribute to Tim Burton's Mars Attacks (which was itself a tribute to 50's sci-fi movies...! ).
It had some great scenes with a giant robot, at night.
What I like in your story is also how it gives way to mystery and imagination !
All the best

2/02/2012 7:37 AM  
Blogger Michael R. Dages said...

A nicely inspired thematic and fun read. There's just something about chase scenes in most stories that somehow make me feel like. . .well, like I'm also the one trying to be captured. But that's ok with me. Yep.

2/02/2012 12:38 PM  
Blogger phil said...

Ah...Mars Attacks.
I'll have to watch that movie now, Hervé. ;)

2/03/2012 7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

11,041 vagabonds plus:
Free Hit Counters
Web Counters

All original designs and text created by the author of this blog, Phil L., are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike3.0 License. All other materials remain the property of their respective owners and/or creators, unless of course they are part of the public domain.