Monday, March 26, 2012

remarkable eyes


She's probably heard it so much. You know, about her eyes. How beautiful and luminous, and how you can not turn away. She does not roll her eyes in disbelief or monotony, nor look away herself. Her lucid pupils are intelligent, good-natured, and she's no-nonsense, direct to the point, like her straight nose. My goal is to say something just pithy enough for her to smile without looking away, and my heart flutters when she genuinely laughs. The doctors have ordered me not to talk, not to rise, but from my bedroom window of this thatched cottage I welcome her approach like the saged Moon peeking through the raining willows on an indigo evening. She's not proud - takes no interest in her own reflection, yet in conversation, is never careless or unkind, and is reflective in thought to my own quietness. She's tender as I've observed her small hands restlessly straighten and flatten the quilt. I bequeath all my books for those hands, for those eyes, and I shall know my daughter will one day become a fine woman.

image: Duane Michals

6 Comments:

Blogger Doctor FTSE said...

Very well constructed writing.

3/27/2012 2:55 AM  
Blogger Jinksy said...

A short story worth a long read...

3/27/2012 9:47 AM  
Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

Beautiful, Phil...and I adore the word "pithy"...

3/27/2012 4:27 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

This is a young woman any father would cherish, be proud of ... your prose is exceptional.

3/29/2012 12:44 PM  
Blogger ~T~ said...

Lovely character sketch.

3/29/2012 6:04 PM  
Blogger hyperCRYPTICal said...

Excellent prose and indeed a daughter to be proud of.

Anna :o]

3/31/2012 9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

11,041 vagabonds plus:
Free Hit Counters
Web Counters

All original designs and text created by the author of this blog, Phil L., are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike3.0 License. All other materials remain the property of their respective owners and/or creators, unless of course they are part of the public domain.