Tuesday, October 8, 2013

used to be


image: Clock Stop, by crilleb50

Way back in another time, when you were just naturally polite, women were not suspicious, nor overly cautious with an eyebrow hiked - now, it seems, you may be guilty of felonious flirting. And forget about holding the door open for them. I've been barked at for that atrocity. You are allowed to tip your hat because men don't wear hats anymore.
Eye contact is also scratched from the list. Or so I thought. In a crowded elevator recently I smiled at a woman with serene blue-gray eyes and she smiled back. She did not look away, and I tried to hang on with a natural smile, not something forced like an undertaker, or the grin of a great uncle looking serious in a lost oil painting hidden in an attic.
I couldn't help but notice the gray swimming with the blue in her magnificent eyes, and time stopped, as much as time could stop in a hurling box stuffed with humans. We were the only ones not looking down at glowing little screens full of cryptic sentences, seeming lost as though squinting nearsighted at an old compass in a shrouded fog, frozen with fear, hesitant at a strange pterosaur blocking a path least taken. 'I believe North might be that way', I said doubtfully above a whisper, and she laughed silently, playing along, just before we zoomed past the eighth floor and braked in slow motion with a soft poof at ground level. I held the determined finger-crushing bank vault door for her and she thanked me, adding,'North seems just about right'. I replied, 'you're welcome', and time started once again.

6 Comments:

Blogger Letitia said...

I really enjoyed this... and have felt the same way on an elevator. ;)

10/08/2013 6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous moment you have captured, those moments when you connect are so precious

10/08/2013 9:14 AM  
Blogger The Bug said...

I love this little elevator moment... I have to say that, although I don't think women are the weaker sex, I do still expect the door to be held for me. :)

10/08/2013 1:10 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

There are days I long to be transported back in time. To a time when men and women gave each other those sexy side way glances,lowered their eyelids, glanced up again for yet another look. Flirting is what we called it. So lovely, flirting .. and your prose.

10/08/2013 1:53 PM  
Blogger Sue J said...

I really enjoyed this. So many seem to live via a tiny screen these days. Sad!

10/09/2013 2:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this vignette. The moment you captured is becoming a rarity these days - with all forms of gadgets that let people hide from/ignore their company.

10/12/2013 12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

11,041 vagabonds plus:
Free Hit Counters
Web Counters

All original designs and text created by the author of this blog, Phil L., are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike3.0 License. All other materials remain the property of their respective owners and/or creators, unless of course they are part of the public domain.