Tuesday, November 6, 2007

fragile

It's just one of those things that can excite you, yet slow the heartbeat. Whilst reaching skyward to fill the bird feeder Sunday morning, an impatient black-capped chickadee landed on my left wrist. I was more startled than it was. A regrettable sudden jerk sent it aloft, the feeder crashing to the ground, but it boomeranged and returned moments later as I stood completely still, holding my breath, with my sunflower filled left hand extended. It glided first to a branch of the closest tree, cried out like it was pleading, 'hold it steady!' then bobbed to my hand and swiped one seed.

It was thrilling. Its legs were so thin! And I swear we made eye contact, but by that time I'm guessing it was the onrush of adrenaline that sent me hallucinating.

Nothing else in life mattered.

2 Comments:

Blogger G said...

I believe that our lives are made memorable for golden moments, not necessarily big, noisy ones. Some people have more, some less. I'm sure we all have at least one. That sounds like one right there Phil.

11/25/2007 3:06 PM  
Blogger phil said...

It sure was a great moment, bp. :)

And thanks for visiting!
I see we both love Woody.

~phil

11/26/2007 7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

11,041 vagabonds plus:
Free Hit Counters
Web Counters

All original designs and text created by the author of this blog, Phil L., are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike3.0 License. All other materials remain the property of their respective owners and/or creators, unless of course they are part of the public domain.