Saturday, December 15, 2007

film of the day

Keri Russell shines in Waitress, (written and directed by the late Adrienne Shelly), as Jenna, who dreams of escaping her abusive husband, passionately creating an inventive pie(“I-Hate-My-Husband Pie”) to fit every hallmark event of her small-town life.

I must admit..I never would've been interested in seeing this movie if it hadn't been for Andy Griffith, who plays crusty Old Joe, the owner of the diner where Jenna bakes her magnificent pies. Andy has been my hero for years, and I've sketched more stories from fictional Mayberry than from anywheres else. He's a joy to watch. It reminds me of James Cagney in Ragtime: An aged actor from long ago still dishing it out, not just casted for the sake of getting them out of the house.

But it led to the sweet, not sugary, joy of this movie: Keri Russell. She's in nearly every scene, and is funny, sincere, fresh, and yes, as tart as her colorful pies.


2 Comments:

Blogger G said...

I'll be sure to catch this one over the Christmas break.

12/20/2007 12:40 AM  
Blogger phil said...

Good! Let me know what you think, bp. I've not yet heard a woman's opinion on this movie.

~p

12/22/2007 12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

11,041 vagabonds plus:
Free Hit Counters
Web Counters

All original designs and text created by the author of this blog, Phil L., are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike3.0 License. All other materials remain the property of their respective owners and/or creators, unless of course they are part of the public domain.