Friday, December 7, 2007

five soundtracks

My favorite soundtracks remind me of specific scenes from movies, rather than those that slap together hits just to sell records.


Amélie - A delight from Yann Tiersen. Includes one clever instrumental accompanied with a good old-fashioned typewriter.
Midnight Cowboy - Everybody's Talkin' is a timeless hit, but it opens the film and sets the mood carried through to the end in the expert hands of John Barry.
Twin Peaks - The ultimate romantic and evil atmospheric setting for the greatest tv series ever, by Angelo Badalamenti. "There's always music in the air."
Local Hero - Mark Knopfler's music truly enhances the enchantment of a Scottish town and its quirky folk.
The Natural - Randy Newman's score for this mythical baseball film soars out of the park.

What are your favorite soundtracks, Dear Reader?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great choice.
I'm a big fan of Maestro Morricone, especially interested in his "non-western" film music.
I love "Mondo Morricone" , a wonderful compilation of his music for italian movies from the 70's (such as Metti una sera a cena). Hearing this, you feel like you're living "la dolce vita" in Roma, back in the 70s, driving a Fiat mini and watching bella ragazza !
Some other favorite soundtracks:
Bullitt (Schifrin), The Knack (Barry), Providence (Rozsa) and The Bounty (Vangelis).

12/08/2007 8:36 AM  
Blogger Brendan said...

I adore Amelie... Stealing Beauty and Vanilla Sky are among my favorites too. As a Jazz fan, I love the Kansas City cds. Badalamenti is awesome too - I love Mulholland Drive and The Straight Story in addition to the Twin Peaks soundtracks.

12/08/2007 10:34 AM  
Blogger phil said...

@ Hervé...I also love that Bullitt ST.

@iremonger...just got The Straight Story last, and enjoying it. (also thoroughly enjoy your Joyce readings!)

12/08/2007 3:29 PM  
Blogger G said...

Good calls!

The Straight Story - yes, one of mine too.

Lone Star - Mason Daring and a host of extras with Little Willie John, Ivory Joe Hunter, etc.

Twin Peaks - "The Nightingale" is one of my favourites

The Piano - Michael Nyman

Anything by Ry Cooder

12/09/2007 11:36 AM  
Blogger G said...

Oh, also (regarding soundtracks): Schindler's List, definitely.

Just read your top movie list Phil - I Know Where I'm Going is one of my favourites.

12/09/2007 12:54 PM  
Blogger phil said...

'I Know', bp.
That's how I found your blog.

It's a small world after all. :)

12/09/2007 6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

11,041 vagabonds plus:
Free Hit Counters
Web Counters

All original designs and text created by the author of this blog, Phil L., are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike3.0 License. All other materials remain the property of their respective owners and/or creators, unless of course they are part of the public domain.