Wednesday, January 19, 2011

the white hat

She had soft curls. I wanted to touch her, but her two nosy sisters were nearby, and I know it embarrassed her; she blushed easy in her paleness. So, I strummed her chestnut hair with my fingers in fleeting moments when we were alone alas. She said don't, but the giggle said yes.
The white winter hat fell to the frozen pond when I had my hand around her small waist with her small hot hand in mine as we waltzed on ice. The chastising sisters called her name angrily when they spotted us from their perch on shore, and it echoed throughout the brilliant white misty landscape like timber cracking and snapping limbs overburdened from an ice storm - that sound of pure death a fallen tree makes in the forest when no one is around.
I never believed her name was meant to sound as such. It was more suited for the gentle flow of clear water caressing pebbles in a shallow spring brook. We stood still listening as the echo faded. She was breathing heavily, her cheeks flushed, we smiled. I placed the hat, or I should say, positioned the hat carefully, tilted slightly north by northwest, her face forever kept from shadow, and when I looked at her again she was crying. She placed her small warm hands on my face, bending me down to a welcomed first kiss.

9 Comments:

Blogger Berowne said...

Good writing, phil...

1/20/2011 10:40 AM  
Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

Oh my-my-my, this is pretty. You're a softy Phil. I love you.

(north by northwest...brilliant)

1/20/2011 11:20 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

What a lovely story to accompany the photo ... yes, it would have been the smallest of the three ladies.

1/20/2011 11:59 AM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Sniff and sigh. Lovely.

1/20/2011 4:07 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

A first kiss in front of her two sisters. Wow, quite daring! ..."Their voices like timber cracking.." loved that!

1/21/2011 10:16 PM  
Blogger Helena said...

Even in Victorian times, there were meddling sisters.....! Grrrr!

A sweet read..!

1/22/2011 3:13 PM  
Blogger Doc FTSE said...

A good read with some sharp observation, .e.g "She said Don't but the giggle said Yes"

1/23/2011 8:21 AM  
Blogger Reflections said...

Wow... sweet. and daring yes! such a kiss would be in times of then, sisters sounding like thunder of fallen trees... oh my, who might they tell?

1/25/2011 12:18 AM  
Blogger ~T~ said...

Ah, a sweet one.

1/26/2011 1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

11,041 vagabonds plus:
Free Hit Counters
Web Counters

All original designs and text created by the author of this blog, Phil L., are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike3.0 License. All other materials remain the property of their respective owners and/or creators, unless of course they are part of the public domain.