Thursday, September 22, 2011

as long as I'm dreaming


A hint of thunder approached within earshot, and along with black coffee, promised uninterrupted sleep. But gray clouds disintegrated and a full silver moon floated above the peaceful valley illuminating the blanketed night sky.
A train with a million graffiti-ed cars trudged along the gravel road crossing at nine miles an hour, and nodding off I dreamt abandoning my car, hopping the train like Kerouac in slow motion and watching time come to a stop.
There was a singular flag-marked grave at a cemetery along the way, a grass-less resting place of our small town's only eighteen-year old boy taken by a road side bomb from a country on the other side of the universe. He is next to his grandfather, also forever eighteen after perishing in the war to end all wars. It all reminded me in my doze that I needed to bulldoze all monuments dedicated to any war.
A dark stranger sporting a snake blocked the cemetery gate not allowing me to enter. I could not tell at first if the snake was smiling at me or just looking forward to the next meal. I guess it's all the same. In a snake's eye I'm guessing I looked like a juicy three swallow gazelle. I eliminated the middleman and blurted out to the fangy creature that I could converse with magpies. Boy, that changed the eight-footer's expression, like it just mistakenly got billed for filet mignon after only having toasted cheese and soup at a crowded lunch counter. So confused, it snapped off the silent stranger's neck. Luckily, chatty magpies are a snake's nemesis, and I didn't mind all the talk as we circled the courthouse square tower, the bell signalling that time started once again.

dream rendered by
The Snake Charmer
~Henri Rousseau 1907

6 Comments:

Blogger Michael R. Dages said...

Well, that one was truely bizarre. And believe me - I know bizarre. Because even as grammaticly off-hand as I can write, I can come up with some very loopy concepts...but you..you still continue a very stylish flow here, welcome-back writer. I suppose now I should finally consider adding myself to that Magpie Tale society you also call home.

(Magpies of all things. Hmm.)

9/23/2011 1:01 AM  
Blogger hyperCRYPTICal said...

Wonderful eerie dream - thanks for letting me in.

Anna :o]

9/23/2011 6:42 AM  
Blogger Kathy B. said...

I liked the stream of consciousness. And, weirdly, I am now hungry for a toasted cheese sandwich!

9/23/2011 8:04 PM  
Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

Fabulous write, Phil...so I guess I am forever safe from snakes...

9/24/2011 12:52 PM  
Blogger Stafford Ray said...

A confession: After reading the first paragraph I had a hard look at the picture looking for the train!
I thought you'd like that.
Now, back to the plot. Just loved the magpie line and the outcome. Haha!

9/24/2011 9:58 PM  
Blogger ~T~ said...

"chatty magpies are a snake's nemesis"--good to know, especiallly when the elephants are flying northwest!

10/11/2011 11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

11,041 vagabonds plus:
Free Hit Counters
Web Counters

All original designs and text created by the author of this blog, Phil L., are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike3.0 License. All other materials remain the property of their respective owners and/or creators, unless of course they are part of the public domain.