Sunday, February 19, 2012

the discovery of light


"Let me see if I understand you, sir - like pickled pigsfeet or Abby Normal's Brain, you have a chunk of the Aurora Borealis in a mason's jar"?
"That I do. That I most certainly do".
"And you are willing to donate your precious discovery, for no small residual fee mind you, to the American Astronomical Society, fully and freely?"
"That about sums it up, ma'am".
"Sir, I think what you have are called fireflies".
"Oh no, ma'am - what I have is..."
Muffled dog breathing snickering pause. "And where is this jar now, sir?"
"In a brown paper bag, right here with me in the phone booth. You really gotta see this, ma'am. I can beeline my bike right to your front door. I can be there in three weeks".
More snickering with molasses-thick sarcasm layered on top. "Oh, I'm just sure it's a sight to behold. Upon arrival just ching ching ching your little bike bell and we'll let you right in".


image - epic mahoney

16 Comments:

Blogger Mimi Foxmorton said...

Oh, gods!
You win!
You win! You win! You win!

This is the most excellent thing I have read all week!

Huzzah!

:)

2/19/2012 12:12 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

.. ya gotta believe!

2/19/2012 1:26 PM  
Blogger Berowne said...

Face it, man, you can write!

2/19/2012 1:37 PM  
Blogger Helena said...

This gets a HUGE Hey! Hey! from me! It's ruddy hilarious. Not just funny, but uniquely funny...!

2/19/2012 2:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

'Ching, ching, ching.' This write shines brighter and more colorfully than the northern lights. It is brilliant!! Thank you for a laugh out loud read.

2/19/2012 2:37 PM  
Blogger Brian Miller said...

lol...wont they be surprised when he shows up...but you know i bet they get a lot of crack pots.

2/19/2012 2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very creative. loved the auroras in the jar.

meditation station

2/19/2012 2:59 PM  
Blogger Carolina Linthead said...

Perfect and hilarious interpretation of the prompt...brilliant! Ching, ching, ching!

2/19/2012 3:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Boy, will he be surprised! BTW I once someone spin a galaxy from an empty jar. But then I had a little help in seeing that one. I suggest that if this guy calls again, they should ask him what lightning bolt he drank. :)

2/19/2012 9:57 PM  
Blogger Trellissimo said...

Oh, for a mason's jar - whatever that is!

2/20/2012 7:50 AM  
Blogger Lyn said...

I like it when everyone's bonkers! I already have a jar full of fireflies, so I'm ready for true light!!

2/20/2012 9:57 AM  
Blogger Doctor FTSE said...

All the hallmarks of a true writer,

2/20/2012 4:45 PM  
Blogger Michael R. Dages said...

Ching, ching! 8°)

2/20/2012 10:47 PM  
Blogger hyperCRYPTICal said...

Brilliant!

Anna :o]

2/21/2012 3:56 AM  
Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

It's amazing what you can capture in a Mason jar...

2/21/2012 2:56 PM  
Blogger ~T~ said...

A Mason jar should keep it fresh for three weeks. I wish I had some Aurora-in-a-jar! Fun!

2/22/2012 12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

11,041 vagabonds plus:
Free Hit Counters
Web Counters

All original designs and text created by the author of this blog, Phil L., are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike3.0 License. All other materials remain the property of their respective owners and/or creators, unless of course they are part of the public domain.