Monday, December 15, 2014

frequent riders


"Sure, I remember, of course I do. We won't talk about the frequent weeping. Not even the frequent miles, apart. I held you, and we kissed as our feet were still floating. Frequently. We traversed like magnetic pins zig-zagging on a map in a sweaty police squad room. Like 'I've got a hunch, captain - Cordon off this area, men, along this route is where the next kissing incident will occur. Mark my word - I've been a policeman for twenty-three years. I know'. Right up to our parting from the bus station. I think they announced our kiss over the loud speaker, squawking like adults in a Charlie Brown special."
She smiled and looked down at her shoes.
"I don't hear so good anyway when you're kissing me", she said, her eyes gleaming.
On another walk, in a year when time once stopped around half past three, they stood in the middle of the block in front of a jewelry store shining with pudding-colored lights. The displays looked tasty, and she licked her lips. He saw this and then he kissed her. People walked by with hunched shoulders in the rain. No gumshoes need apply.
photograph by Robert Doisneau

7 Comments:

Blogger brudberg said...

I like the use of tense in this.. The monologues telling stories of a love story that maybe never will be fulfilled.. The simile of a squadroom was very creative

12/15/2014 12:52 AM  
Blogger Yvonne Osborne said...

I love the line about not hearing so good, not when you're kissing me.

12/15/2014 12:39 PM  
Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

Delightful blend of wit humor and romance...

12/15/2014 3:14 PM  
Blogger Bekkie Sanchez said...

A delightful flash fiction! I wanted to know what happened next. <3

12/16/2014 11:36 AM  
Blogger Rommy said...

I love the fun and nostalgia in this.

12/17/2014 6:16 AM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

very enjoyable- who can hear when being kissed?

12/21/2014 7:42 PM  
Blogger ~T~ said...

Great combination of floating feet, deaf ears, and police procedural...

Merry Christmas!

12/24/2014 2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

11,041 vagabonds plus:
Free Hit Counters
Web Counters

All original designs and text created by the author of this blog, Phil L., are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike3.0 License. All other materials remain the property of their respective owners and/or creators, unless of course they are part of the public domain.