Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Capote complete

I've read everything now, finally completed on the day I turn 50 -

The Gothic beginning, short fictional slices of life, pointed profiles of the famous, colorful travel sketches, and worldly ventures into journalism

- There's no other author I can say that about.

When Selected Writings arrived in the mail a couple of years ago, I pushed aside a Hemingway I had just started after reading the classic opening paragraph of Breakfast At Tiffany's(also, half a century old, just like me!):
I am always drawn back to places I have lived, the houses and their neighborhoods. For instance, there is a brownstone in the East Seventies where, during the early years of the war, I had my first New York apartment. It was one room crowded with attic furniture, a sofa and fat chairs upholstered in that itchy, particular red velvet that one associates with hot days on a train. The walls were stucco, and a color rather like tobacco-spit. Everywhere, in the bathroom too, there were prints of Roman ruins freckled brown with age. The single window looked out on a fire escape. Even so, my spirits heightened whenever I felt in my pocket the key to this apartment; with all its gloom, it was still a place of my own, the first, and my books were there, and jars of pencils to sharpen, everything I needed, so I felt, to become the writer I wanted to be.
And, from there, I thumbed my way onto a memorable ride.

6 Comments:

Blogger G said...

Is today your birthday Phil??

8/14/2008 8:16 AM  
Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

Happy Birthday, bloggy friend! The big 5-0? I hit the big number two years back and actually lived to tell.

I absolutley love Capote's writing. It has a very comfortable feel, like he's sitting at the kitchen table telling you about it.
Have you read his short stories?

8/14/2008 11:13 AM  
Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

Just realized that "Selected Writings" contains some short stories, so you have! :)

8/14/2008 11:16 AM  
Blogger phil said...

It sure was, g! :)

Thanks, Willow!

Yes, I've read it all, unless someone has an unknown manuscript hidden in their attic they know nothing about.

8/14/2008 8:05 PM  
Blogger G said...

Happy Birthday Phil! May the next year bring fulfilling new trails for you to wander along!

8/14/2008 8:22 PM  
Blogger phil said...

thanks, g!

I appreciate it! :)

8/15/2008 9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

11,041 vagabonds plus:
Free Hit Counters
Web Counters

All original designs and text created by the author of this blog, Phil L., are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike3.0 License. All other materials remain the property of their respective owners and/or creators, unless of course they are part of the public domain.