Saturday, August 16, 2008

film of the day


The true test of a great film. I watched this sad comedy a week ago tonight, and I am still thinking about it - and I can't wait to see it again.

It's The Station Agent (2003), written and directed by Tom McCarthy, staring Peter Dinklage, Patricia Clarkson, and Bobby Cannavale.

A man with a passion for trains and solitude inherits a plot of land with an abandoned train depot. Sounds like paradise, heh? But being a dwarf he obviously attracts attention. He meets, Joe, a brash hot dog vendor desperate for human interaction, and Olivia, a divorced local artist surviving tragedy. Simply put, it's about people and friendships and honestly coming to terms with who they are and what's going on in their lives. The dialogue is sparse it seems, thankfully, with scenes of silent contemplation that moves the film along at an appropriate pace. Only the trains need to speed by.

Amazingly, the day after I saw this film I encountered a dwarf. He was a receptionist in a local engineer's office. I found myself not looking down in embarrassment, nor looking past him.
I admit I needed The Station Agent.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

I hadn't heard of this movie, Phil. It looks good and am adding it to my list.

Patricia Clarkson is great. She's perfect in some time period films I've seen. She has that wonderful old fashioned look, doesn't she?

8/16/2008 4:04 PM  
Blogger phil said...

She is wonderful alright.

Let me know what you think
if you get a chance to see it, Willow.

8/17/2008 11:43 AM  
Blogger G said...

I have to see this! I saw the movie "The Visitor" last week, by the same director/writer. How wonderful. It was perfect and moving and thought-provoking. Thanks for bringing this one to our attention Phil!

8/18/2008 10:25 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Skipped over here from Willow's blog.

Yes indeed, Station Agent is a true gem. I have seen it a few times and each time I enjoy it. It is one that I am shocked I do not actually own and need to remedy that by going out and buying it...today!

It and Pieces of April made me a fan of Patricia Richardson.

8/19/2008 12:51 PM  
Blogger phil said...

g...I will try to catch 'The Visitor.' Thanks!

Welcome, Carl!
I'm surprised there's no soundtrack to TSA. Some great music in there.

8/19/2008 7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

11,041 vagabonds plus:
Free Hit Counters
Web Counters

All original designs and text created by the author of this blog, Phil L., are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike3.0 License. All other materials remain the property of their respective owners and/or creators, unless of course they are part of the public domain.