Saturday, November 1, 2008

Mr. Hulot's Holiday

Sometimes, I go beyond loving a film to death, and become just downright fond of a movie.

That is why a smile rolls across my face like the wave washing up on shore to an abandoned rowboat, and the music begins in this Jacques Tati comic masterpiece from 1953.

Tati's Mr. Hulot, a well meaning bumbler, creates havoc at a beach vacation spot accompanied with a pretty blonde, small children, a retired general in perpetual reminiscent mode, et al. in what could almost pass for a silent film. Thankfully it is not, because even an annoying spring door almost becomes a central character. But Hulot is quietly, and oh so politely oblivious to the havoc he creates. Most of the time anyway.

Despite the mischief, somehow, I wish I could vacation and spend time with Monsieur Hulot, that tall gentle man physically graceful as Buster Keaton.
I guess I do every time I watch.

Scenes:


6 Comments:

Blogger Zuzana said...

Found your blog through someone else's.:)
What a really cool site, I love your selection of music and the feel of your writing.
And the Live traffic feed is a great idea.

11/02/2008 4:53 PM  
Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

I saw a film Tati on TCM recently and loved it. I must see this one!

How do you get these cute little YouTube clips on your blog? They are smaller than the ones I download. I like them.

11/02/2008 6:22 PM  
Blogger phil said...

Thank you, Protege, you're very kind..and a thousand Welcomes. :)

Hi, willow...I just edit the clips using V Tube Tools to change size and colors. :)

11/02/2008 6:51 PM  
Blogger G said...

Oh Phil, what excellent taste you have! TCM had a whole mini festival. I watched "Mr. Hulot's Holiday" and have taped "Mon Oncle" and the wonderful "Playtime" which I haven't seen in years. Still haven't watched them, but I will, and I'll blog about them when I do.

11/02/2008 10:14 PM  
Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

Thanks, Phil! You're the best. :)

11/03/2008 3:53 PM  
Blogger phil said...

yw, willow :)

G, I too recorded Playtime, and look forward to seeing it for the first time.

Jour De Fête didn't do anything for me - until about the last 20 minutes - perhaps the funniest sequence I've ever seen.

11/03/2008 10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

11,041 vagabonds plus:
Free Hit Counters
Web Counters

All original designs and text created by the author of this blog, Phil L., are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike3.0 License. All other materials remain the property of their respective owners and/or creators, unless of course they are part of the public domain.