Friday, November 21, 2008

yeah, but will she let me carry her books home

Dear Willow slugged me upside the head with a book while I was lookin' the other way to list my...

Essential Reads in:
~Fiction
~Autobiography
~Non-fiction
~A fourth book of your choice from any genre

Fiction ~
Mother Night
by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
KV's stuff is always great for me. There was never a let down, but this one was the one I just never wanted to end.
To label it an anti-war satire just isn't enough.

Autobiography ~
Ashenden, or The British Agent
by W Somerset Maugham.
As Maugham puts it - fact is a poor story teller.
Maugham's book is based loosely on his stint in The Service in WWI. Although admittedly fiction, Maugham turns monotonous incidents into entertaining stories of espionage.

Non-fiction book ~
How To Win Friends And Influence People
by Dale Carnegie.
Essential alrighty. My Bible. Read. Let it soak in. Repeat.

Time Enough At Last ~
A Hunter's Sketches
by Ivan Turgenev.
A hunter travels the 19th Century Russian countryside, in these vignettes that aroused the shame of serfdom in the author. With humour and realism, Turgenev shows peasants as individual human beings with intellectual and spiritual potentialities.



3 Comments:

Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

Oh, sorry, Phil, I didn't mean to slug you that hard! How long were you out cold?

I knew you would have some very interesting choices! I've got to find the Turgenev.

LOVE "The Seven Year Itch". Truly hilarious.

11/21/2008 11:04 PM  
Blogger phil said...

You may have knocked some sense into me, because the last time I watched The Seven Year Itch, I actually looked past Marilyn and thought, 'look at those great book shelves.'

If you look for the Turgenev, willow, it also goes by the title 'A Sportsman's Notebook'.

11/21/2008 11:22 PM  
Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

Okay, thanks, Phil, I'm putting it on my library list.

I haven't seen The Seven Year Itch in ages. There are bookshelves?! Tom Ewell always reminds me of that funny Hanna Barbera cartoon dog.

11/21/2008 11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

11,041 vagabonds plus:
Free Hit Counters
Web Counters

All original designs and text created by the author of this blog, Phil L., are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike3.0 License. All other materials remain the property of their respective owners and/or creators, unless of course they are part of the public domain.