Friday, December 18, 2009

on a silent winter's night

Tower Church bells sleep together, coated by thick ice seeping through an ancient crevice above. In the silence a reindeer taps an antler against the crystal window and exhales a deep frosty sigh like a 3 pack-a-day mine worker. I open the door for a closer look. It makes eye contact and does not look away, belching another sigh, looking a bit wobbly. Over its left cupped antler point beyond the snow drifts there's a faint red dot blinking near the snow powdered tree line in the moonless crisp night. Then you're not so famous, heh. My guess is Blitzen because I suffer from vertigo too, brother. From the light of the open cottage door I can see two ribbons of caked blood winding down to the right front hoof. Up close its deep belches smell like burnt rodent with a side order of rotten eggs fresh from my barn. It's only one o'clock, the Big Night is young, I fall to my knees wrapping the entire gauze roll round and round the damaged joint like an over-zealous cub scout. Chomping the scooped snow offer from my hands, antler jabbing my forehead waking me from my dream, he limps away into the night towards the red quasar. Moments later a warm solitary red star amongst countless white streaks across the belt of Orion.

4 Comments:

Blogger Marie Reed said...

Such depth, creativity, and emotion! I wish that I could write like this! It's just plain darn mesmerizing!

12/20/2009 3:28 AM  
Blogger phil said...


Thanks, Marie.

Merry Christmas to you and yours. :)

12/20/2009 10:49 AM  
Blogger Beth Niquette said...

How very lovely! You are a very talented writer! Happy PFF!

12/24/2009 11:30 PM  
Blogger phil said...


Thanks, sweet Beth.
Merry Christmas! :)

12/25/2009 10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

11,041 vagabonds plus:
Free Hit Counters
Web Counters

All original designs and text created by the author of this blog, Phil L., are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike3.0 License. All other materials remain the property of their respective owners and/or creators, unless of course they are part of the public domain.