Tuesday, January 12, 2010

elusive

The hummingbird must visit around one thousand flowers a day to stay alive. Imagine the floral birds-eye view! And its heart beats up to 600 times a minute. The last time mine throbbed at that rate was when I was 8 years old and the prettiest girl in school beckoned me by my first name instead of 'hey, four-eyes.' How much did I love her you ask? If she were a hummingbird, I woulda brought all the flowers she woulda needed to stay alive to her backyard. So elusive, alas, one day she just disappeared forever. I like to think she never blended in with the Earth tones like the sparrow, but remained vibrant and breathtaking.

These days my heart remains at a steady slow rate for the most part. Except, as you know, now and then it flutters as I sight the shy babe-in-glasses in a bookstore that I try to attract out of the fiction foliage with the sweet smelling aroma of a mug of hot cocoa. She comes in a flash. Dips her tongue. She darts away.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Tell the truth. Did you watch the PBS Nature program on Hummingbirds last night?? I did.

1/13/2010 1:02 AM  
Blogger phil said...


I did, Pamela. Wasn't that awesome..those closeups!

1/13/2010 8:47 PM  
Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

I love your writing, Phil.

1/13/2010 10:31 PM  
Blogger G said...

I'm with Willow on this one, and all your other writings.

1/15/2010 6:58 AM  
Blogger phil said...


Thanks, willow & G. :)

1/15/2010 8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

11,041 vagabonds plus:
Free Hit Counters
Web Counters

All original designs and text created by the author of this blog, Phil L., are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike3.0 License. All other materials remain the property of their respective owners and/or creators, unless of course they are part of the public domain.