Sunday, February 28, 2010

the after hours

You were right to come to me. Somehow you've opened a deep dark portal like a Ouija Board is wont to do and there's no turning back. One minute morsel of misguided judgment burdens you with the weight of a ten ton cold anvil. Don't turn, here, now now, a handkerchief.

Ok, let me think, wait. Yes, I have a crowbar, it'll be the only passkey we'll need. A flashlight, yes. The morgue is no place for a girl. No more crying until we finish this. He will not visit you again if my idea pans out. It's just the wind outside, there's no one else here, the dog jumped because of a nightmare, she has them all the time. And she only barks when I play my scratchy old Oscar Peterson album. What a smile you have.

Take this lamp, yes, there's a small mirror in my room, next to the stuffed magpie, it's warped and scratched, so don't be frightened if Bela Lugosi is staring back at you, and if you care to you can wash your face at the old white basin. You'll find a flannel in the closet, over-sized yes, but good and warm, and a olive knit cap. We'll be wallowing in thawed mud, it'll be the least of our nightmare. Yes, it has to happen tonight so we can bury the ghost, no more nudging you awake in the night. Perhaps I should take a chainsaw. You look ridiculously cute in that cap, Miriam.

Yes, you can be my Watson, but this is dark business now. Sometimes the dead just need to be killed more than once I guess. Keep your chin up and do not blink, when we go in you can not exhibit fear. If we get separated, meet me under the covered willow stone bridge. What are you, seven stone? Ghosts don't even weigh one kilo, Love.



another magpie tale

14 Comments:

Blogger christine said...

Quite strange but cleverly written..
I was intrigued and had to read it twice.
Christine

3/01/2010 12:00 PM  
Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

I'll be your Watson in an olive knit cap any day (or night).

The ghost at WM has been rattling around again. I must post on it soon.

3/01/2010 12:57 PM  
Blogger rel said...

for sure, the mind is a portal to some fearsome places.
rel

3/01/2010 8:24 PM  
Blogger Brian Miller said...

take the chainsaw..lol. you took this in a unique direction and i loved every word. nicely done. great magpie!

3/01/2010 8:26 PM  
Blogger The Muse said...

this could be told around a campfire...
and we would all beg to keep our flashlights!

http://adivashammer.com/archives/26

3/01/2010 9:51 PM  
Anonymous Uma Gowrishankar said...

Phil, you do it again with your dramatic monologue! Miriam with her sweet smile and the dog who has nightmares jump out of the frame. Great writing!

3/02/2010 12:08 AM  
Blogger joanna said...

Oh My!

A some what dark tale -- I love a good scare, you made me look over my shoulder after reading this post. Well done.

Joanny

3/02/2010 2:01 AM  
Blogger joanna said...

I just noticed your little golden dog
Muffin oh sweet.
I have a dog named Tigger looks so much like muffin,


Joanny

3/02/2010 2:04 AM  
Blogger Vicki Lane said...

Love the voice -- love the references to willow and magpie!

A modern Poe?

3/02/2010 11:09 AM  
Blogger chiccoreal said...

"Like a ghost from a wishing well" portal entry to horror and hospitality. Excellent!

3/02/2010 6:29 PM  
Blogger steviewren said...

Hold my hand please. I'm scared. Good ghost stories always have that effect on me.

3/02/2010 6:50 PM  
Blogger spacedlaw said...

You have me thinking about burying a ghost. Thanks.

3/03/2010 4:23 AM  
Blogger Peter Goulding said...

Wallowing in thawed mud!
Great mix of horror and comedy!

3/03/2010 4:10 PM  
Anonymous Jennifer said...

I love your monologue style Phil, it plays out like one of your movies in my head. Creepy - I want to know the plan, and I don't!

3/04/2010 7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

11,041 vagabonds plus:
Free Hit Counters
Web Counters

All original designs and text created by the author of this blog, Phil L., are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike3.0 License. All other materials remain the property of their respective owners and/or creators, unless of course they are part of the public domain.