Saturday, September 4, 2010

theory of gravity

I was out in the garden at dusk, all was quiet, and it fell on my head. But it was as though it was thrown in defiance rather than the Isaac Newton gravity theory thingy. And to have been carefully eaten slowly over time as though searching for a hidden treasure inside instead of grasping its axis and penetrating the membrane with hungry sharp incisors.

I do not know. It is the core of the problem. It’s why I invited you. I know what we discuss will not leave this room, my comrade. Sit down, sip your coffee, it is hot. No, I insist, my favorite chair, Dear Friend, scoot dog.

Funny, just then when you softly blew across the surface the misty steam twisting up and floating away from your cup appeared like a laughing ghost face. No, I only mention it because strange things have been happening, Tatyana’s portrait smiling, strange howling from Willow Manor at midnight, the dog burrowing into my bed. Just this:

This apple. Eight days now, no browning around the edges. Still firm, juicy, unbruised, God’s perfume. The uneven divot, perhaps dug with a small spoon, or more probable and my theory, the beaky surgical skill of the inscrutable Magpie. Yes, I have seen them. Yes, blue glossy wings, tail feather a mile long, yes. No, they are not in this part of the country but they appear often in my garden. But you roll your eyes. I understand. The apples on the ground? They bump against apples and roll them into neat piles methodically. If only they’d do the fallen leaves now. It’s as though they are doing it just for my benefit. Like Boo Radley, yes, a mystery. They do not eat fruit.

Magpies are not stupid like Cardinals which bang into the windows chasing their own reflection. They are a fairly vain creature. But why did it drop on me with such force? There was not a sole around. I did an immediate search. What’s that? Yes, I have a sharp knife. Shall we dissect the apple then and solve my theory? Ok. No, sit back, relax. No ghost. That thud you hear upstairs is the stupid Cardinal against the window.

11 Comments:

Blogger Brian Miller said...

so just how hard did it hit your head...smiles.

9/04/2010 7:15 PM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

time for some apple exorcising?
Nice Magpie!

9/05/2010 1:29 AM  
Blogger Krunal said...

lovely piece

9/05/2010 8:19 AM  
Blogger phil said...


Thanks!

9/05/2010 11:21 AM  
Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

I've got a really big slingshot.

9/05/2010 11:29 AM  
Blogger Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

beautiful writing!

My Magpie

9/05/2010 12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'the Isaac Newton gravity theory thingy,' made me laugh. Yep, i'd say those magpies have it in for you... awesome read.

9/05/2010 1:55 PM  
Blogger Berowne said...

I've never trusted that gravity thing. :-)

9/05/2010 6:45 PM  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

theory thingies are for the gullible, surely and magpies are currently outcrowing the crows...
I love this tale!

9/05/2010 9:49 PM  
Blogger steviewren said...

Those crazy cardinals bang their heads against my big window all the time. Glad to see I'm not the only one with a loopy bird or two!

9/06/2010 1:08 AM  
Blogger Lydia said...

I am totally enchanted by this magpie! You are an original, I can tell.

And a bit of synchronicity here with you mentioning Boo Radley: in my mag30 I mentioned Harper Lee!

9/09/2010 3:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

11,041 vagabonds plus:
Free Hit Counters
Web Counters

All original designs and text created by the author of this blog, Phil L., are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike3.0 License. All other materials remain the property of their respective owners and/or creators, unless of course they are part of the public domain.