Wednesday, September 28, 2011

the girl


She was vagabondias specularis, an elusive species, a reluctant homecoming queen back in high school, voted Most Likely To Wander The Road Not Taken, the coed that crept through my dorm window in that freshman orange October to choose one of my flannel shirts, as she said it felt like a mans flesh against her goose pimples. She'd don my coke-bottle glasses to perform her take on our Philo prof, Mr. Ginsburg, lisps and palsy twitches, and I'd applaud at the blurry figure through the special effects lens of blindness and she'd take a sweeping bow, her long Audrey Hepburn hair brushing the stage.
I loved her, and she constantly worried about me. She was the only person I let call me Phillip, it thrilled me each time she said it as nobody knew my name. And I loved buttoning up the flannel and loosening her mane from the collar. When the zealous dorm monitor with the buzz haircut got wind and sniff that a real live vagabondias specularis had invaded our forbidden hall, he'd go around pounding on the doors, and when he reached mine she'd lower her voice and respond, 'so right here, move along now.' We'd hold our breaths, hardened criminals, and after the all-clear we clutched each other tight all night by the frost air of the open window, campus sidewalk lights brilliant below. We'd rise early on Saturdays, knockout our studies on the deserted second floor of the library, then have the entire weekend plus Mondays carefree. Eventually we drifted away from each other, she ever restless, seasonal colors seeped down the drain, no birds in sight, and there was her smiling face on flyers tacked to telephone poles, but I knew she was just fine as she came out into a clearing at the end of the World.

9 Comments:

Blogger Michael R. Dages said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9/29/2011 2:26 AM  
Blogger Michael R. Dages said...

enchantallofus dearfillus

Hmm, very...philling.

A tale worth reading...is a tale worth the time in returning.

Yep. d:^)

9/29/2011 2:33 AM  
Blogger martine said...

You have made her into a real person here rather than the fantasy take that most others seem to have followed. Just excellent, I am in love with her too
thanks for sharing
martine

9/29/2011 2:49 AM  
Blogger Kathy B. said...

Great entertaining read, a very natural voice and tons of momentum to the plot, plus that early, intimate image of the coke-bottle glasses performance that seals the characters into reality -- I agree with Martine. The double meanings of "no birds in sight" and the flyers: NICE.

9/29/2011 8:39 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

My mother always told me good things come to those that wait ...so glad I waited for your Magpie.

9/29/2011 9:39 AM  
Blogger Roy Schulze said...

Great piece. I think you've made me fall in love with her too.

9/29/2011 10:12 AM  
Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

This was the tenderest, loveliest thing I've read in a long, long time. May I call you Phillip, Phil?

9/29/2011 2:29 PM  
Blogger Berowne said...

A fine example of fine writing...

9/30/2011 1:00 PM  
Blogger phil said...


Thanks for all your comments, Friends. Quite overwhelming.

Yes, Tessy, you may, by all means. 8^)

9/30/2011 7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

11,041 vagabonds plus:
Free Hit Counters
Web Counters

All original designs and text created by the author of this blog, Phil L., are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike3.0 License. All other materials remain the property of their respective owners and/or creators, unless of course they are part of the public domain.