Saturday, October 15, 2011

the little folk


I figured something was off-kilter when I saw two presentable rows of mice standing with silver swords raised along the side of the fridge. The side displaying a prized miniature magnet resembling a shopping cart holding this weeks grocery list.
"Those are silver toothpicks".
"Oh. You're a mind reader".
"No, I followed you eyes," he nodded.
"Suppose I push your belly. Will you giggle too?"
"I, Sir, will have your head clean lopped off."
"Yeah". I was the one that giggled.
"Sir, do not try me."
I straightened up in my chair like a faithful servant.
"I, too, My Lord, have a special talent."
"Oh?" The tubby visitor seemed mockingly perplexed.
"Stand still. With a clean jerk of the morning news you shall, My Lord, remain standing. But preferrable, Dear King, arch safely across the moat into the garbage disposal."
"Off with your head!"
I laughed as my head rolled off the table, traversing across the linoleum, halting in an upright position against the wooden cabinet where I store green trash bags, and a nighttime home to a family of mice. Look at that mote.

illustration ~ The Little King
by Michael Sowa

4 Comments:

Blogger Kathy B. said...

Excellent wit and choices -- the "presentable" rows, the magnet, and laughing as your head rolls off.

10/15/2011 5:15 PM  
Blogger ~T~ said...

Did they behead you with the toothpicks? What a way to go!

10/15/2011 7:05 PM  
Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

Yikes...those little kings mean business...

10/15/2011 9:42 PM  
Blogger Michael R. Dages said...

Well, I'a tells ya dem lit'l folk sure seem do get alls dee fun. Yepums.

10/15/2011 10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

11,041 vagabonds plus:
Free Hit Counters
Web Counters

All original designs and text created by the author of this blog, Phil L., are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike3.0 License. All other materials remain the property of their respective owners and/or creators, unless of course they are part of the public domain.