Monday, April 5, 2010

curio shop sketch

Fade in.

[The Orson Welle’s 360 Zoom Deluxe Model camera crane sweeps down the street from on high, scanning the fronts of three building - The Grand Theater, darkened with an ancient Greta Garbo movie poster peeled away from the brick wall, The Egg Mustard Deli with a man sitting on a bench below the front window furiously chewing tobacco working on a crossword puzzle, a little girl with a strawberry ice cream cone amused at the toothless chewing, the town Cocker Spaniel, Muffin, smiling as she licks the low level ice cream cone of the oblivious little girl, and the small blue stone front of The Curio Shop, a frowning wooden Indian beside the door.
Camera stops on the neon sign out front.

Scene inside.
The proprietor curiously scanning an item with a magnifying glass, owner of curio watching him.]


‘There’s a hairline fracture.’
‘I know. Nephew hit it with a slingshot playing indoors.’
‘That’s no problem. What else?’
‘I want something different on the face.’
‘Why?’
‘I hate that scene of the white man gypping the Indian.’
‘I don’t see any white man. Unless the bird…fleeing.’
‘I hate it. I see it there, and in Marlon Brando’s eyes in every movie. The mistrust, the disgust.’
‘Even Guys And Dolls?’
‘Well, no, I guess not Guys And Dolls.’

[Shop owner sets it down gently. Man looks over proprietor’s shoulder at crooked bird calendar pinned to wall with a high heeled shoe. June with a magpie. Shakes his head in disgust.]

‘I hate magpies.’
‘What do you want on the face?’

[Man takes old sepia photo of woman’s face from his wallet. Close up - she’s laughing.]

‘My dead wife.’ [Pausing] ‘I can’t remember why she was laughing.’
‘She’s lovely. I bet she never gypped anyone.’
‘I can’t remember why she was laughing. You know, I met her at a party. I was wearing a lamp shade the shape of a weeping willow and lost my balance, spilling my beer bottle down her white blouse. She slugged me with a mean left hook. We got married two weeks later.’
‘What a smile she had. And she reminds me of Zasu Pitts!’
‘That’s what I want.’
‘Sepia?’
‘Yes, and laughing.’

7 Comments:

Blogger Brian Miller said...

ha. i love this scene in an odd kinda way...love the way you set it up as well...fantastic.

4/05/2010 6:41 PM  
Blogger joanna said...

Great love story and Zazu Pitts now that is an old time name for you --I wonder how many will recognize it? Muffin is adorable I have a cocker spaniel golden colored that I take in the summer to the coffee shop and we sit outside and the owner gives my dog a small doggie bowl one with water and the other with ice cream -- but I never had to slug anyone except swipe a fly or two. Thank goodness..

Joanny

4/05/2010 11:28 PM  
Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

Phil, you're amazing. Isn't Zasu the most fabulous name?

4/06/2010 8:40 AM  
Anonymous Angie Muresan said...

Awesome read, Phil. Love the setup, love the story, love the name Zazu.

4/06/2010 10:42 AM  
Blogger steviewren said...

I enjoyed your fun, retro, quirky Magpie Tale. I especially like the Marlon Brando parts...funny lines.

4/06/2010 11:28 AM  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Vibrant! I saw this scene unfold right in front of me and all around me. Wonderful.

4/06/2010 1:37 PM  
Blogger phil said...



@Brian...Thanks! Re-reading it I think maybe it would've been better if I'd just left out the first bracket.

@joanny...I would love to see a photo of your little dog. :)
I sure miss mine.

@willow...always loved that zaaasuuuuu. :)

@Angie...thanks!

@steviewren....glad you enjoyed it! :)

@Tumblewords...ahh, thanks!

4/08/2010 10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

11,041 vagabonds plus:
Free Hit Counters
Web Counters

All original designs and text created by the author of this blog, Phil L., are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike3.0 License. All other materials remain the property of their respective owners and/or creators, unless of course they are part of the public domain.