Monday, April 12, 2010

shut up and kiss me

Sit down. No over there in my favorite chair. You’ve changed your hair. I like it, yes. When you pull it back like that it exposes more of your lovely skin. You know, Grace, I should call you Redbud. Why? Because your rose-colored blush is the same as its blossoms in the Spring, and that lipstick you’re wearing - yes! That lipstick is the exact shade of a redbud tree in all its summer glory. Sometimes, I have this repetitive nightmare of a woman laughing like a horse with lipstick missing her lips with chunks of stick streaking around her cheek. Ah, but we’ll leave my worse dreams for another day now that you are here.

Yes, it has been a warm week. Warm enough to tire magpies that hang around here. That’s why they’re walking about I guess. Once, one walked up to me carrying a box of matches - don’t laugh! - really, I’ll tell you sometime. Did you see the white moon this evening? It looks like the mischievous grin of the Joker.

Oh no, she likes you, My Little Girl. Yes, that’s her name. I can just tell. How? She’s never been a happy-tail-wagger. Just then, when she laid her head upon you lap, made eye contact, and let out that long sigh. Now you have a friend for life, believe me. There’s a certain balance there - as though your heartbeat rates match perfect. The same with your breathing. A man walks into a bar. He can try every pickup line in the book, but all he has to do is get into the same breathing pattern of a woman and she’s all his. No, I never tried it. Just one of my theories. Enough though, I wanted to share a lucid passage from this book of poetry you might like.

14 Comments:

Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

Okay, I'm sitting in your favorite chair, Muffins head in my lap, waiting for that passage of lucid poetry. Sigh.

4/12/2010 10:34 PM  
Blogger joanna said...

Willow nailed it -- perfectly said --
A good read for sure ,,, and never heard that one before-- "get into the same breathing pattern of a woman and she’s all his." Wow --

Hope it is just a theory and nothing more.

Joanny

4/12/2010 11:53 PM  
Blogger Stella Jones said...

You have created a very good atmosphere here. I particularly like the line about the magpies - very appropriate. Well done.
Star

4/13/2010 10:30 AM  
Blogger RNSANE said...

Quite the story here! I want more.

4/13/2010 10:54 AM  
Blogger Catalyst said...

Yes, you captured me! But I, too, want more, Phil! Great scene setting.

4/13/2010 12:52 PM  
Blogger Peter Goulding said...

The one-sided conversation technique works very well again. You seem to have this genre down to a tee.

4/13/2010 4:56 PM  
Blogger Jan of Thousand Acres said...

Enchanting, loved this! Very well written, wonderful imagery.

4/13/2010 4:58 PM  
Blogger Joan Tucker said...

charming piece.. magpies, matches ..

4/14/2010 10:45 AM  
Blogger Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

playful,
thank you for the fun ride!
Have a winsome Wednesday!

4/14/2010 1:21 PM  
Blogger Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

http://jingleyanqiu.wordpress.com/2010/04/13/because-she-is-plain-magpie-tale/

my first magpie,
I value your input,
Happy Wednesday!

4/14/2010 1:22 PM  
Anonymous Doris said...

who's Grace?

4/15/2010 10:31 AM  
Blogger marc aurel said...

I read you. Where is your playlist? It was my favourite.

4/18/2010 10:01 AM  
Blogger phil said...


I'm on ancient slow dial-up now, so I had to remove the playlist.

4/18/2010 8:49 PM  
Blogger G said...

If you ever decide to test that theory, let me know how it goes. :)

4/19/2010 9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

11,041 vagabonds plus:
Free Hit Counters
Web Counters

All original designs and text created by the author of this blog, Phil L., are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike3.0 License. All other materials remain the property of their respective owners and/or creators, unless of course they are part of the public domain.