Saturday, May 29, 2010

shoe

You were barefoot then with your feet on the handlebars, and I lost control, crashing into the gravel ditch of the prairie field next door. You laughed instead of crying at the gravel embedded in my knee, but I’d hear you wailing from the end of the driveway as your father whipped you in your bedroom after witnessing the forbidden bike ride.

Knowing the crime was truly mine and the punishment was meant for me, your crying echoed although my hands covered my ears. It seemed he was always hitting you. Even when you’d invite me over for Cheerios and chocolate milk as we watched our favorite cartoon, Jonny Quest. Remember once I asked how hard he'd beat you and you said you thought at least it was making your freckles disappear? So, we decided to run away and get married although we were a bit too young at eight years. We’d sealed it when you kissed my lips at our hideaway tree back in the shade of the orchard, and we took your father’s canoe, castaways down the narrow Eel River. But our adventure was brief wasn’t it? when I fell overboard to retrieve your wayward wedding loafer, waking up on shore nose to nose with an EMT.

Pulling up your blue silk graduation gown, you laughingly showed off the rebellious mismatched shoes - a blue tennis shoe with pink stars on the left, a barefooted sandal on the right. Remember though how people thought you looked funny walking crookedly across the raised platform to swipe your diploma? And I hushed them, defending you, explaining to the pinheads the uneven walk was because you were in the early stages of the phony Juergen’s Myasthenia Disease, and how lucky we all were to witness the poor girl lasting to get a diploma. Remember how you laughed when I told you, and you kissed my lips for the last time?

I do.

13 Comments:

Blogger The Crusty Crone said...

Lovely. I wanted to find out what happened next to the young lady.

5/30/2010 11:42 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

A most intriguing Magpie! That bike ride ~ I have my own memories of one!

5/30/2010 11:52 AM  
Blogger Stafford Ray said...

I'm with Cruaty Crone. What happened that it was the last kiss?

5/30/2010 6:48 PM  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Oh. I could see them riding off into the sunset on a fat-tired bicycle built for two. Nice post!

5/30/2010 8:41 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

I liked the mix of emotions

5/30/2010 9:41 PM  
Blogger Sue J said...

I really enjoyed this :) Tell us more.

5/30/2010 11:09 PM  
Blogger Brian Miller said...

the mark of a good story...you leave us wanting more...very nice magpie!

5/31/2010 6:22 AM  
Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

Phil, this made me laugh...and cry. xx

5/31/2010 11:39 AM  
Blogger Lyn said...

There's a movie in this..amazing where your memory took you..loved it!

5/31/2010 12:19 PM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

will there be a sequel? Lovely story thanks!

5/31/2010 4:14 PM  
Blogger Caty said...

this was sweet and sad all at the same time. Great magpie. I wonder if tragedy came to this young lady or maybe just a loss of touch with each other?

5/31/2010 6:57 PM  
Anonymous Jingle said...

a tale full of emotions and fun,
lovely magpie!

6/01/2010 8:29 PM  
Blogger Suz said...

This was quite a ride
and I enjoyed every line of it!

6/01/2010 10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

11,041 vagabonds plus:
Free Hit Counters
Web Counters

All original designs and text created by the author of this blog, Phil L., are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike3.0 License. All other materials remain the property of their respective owners and/or creators, unless of course they are part of the public domain.